Sunday 20 March 2011

More Sinned Against


The first work I read by Dave White was his story in the ‘Terminal Damage’ anthology.
That’s a brilliantly constructed piece about a young man who has lost his grip. It was so good that I had to get hold of ‘More Sinned Against’ as soon as it came out.

Here I found a very different voice.

I met Jackson Donne, a Private Detective in the classic mould who has a strong enough profile to make him stand out from the rest.

This is a series of tales that are beautifully self-contained. There’s enough tension, pathos and character in each one to make them the perfect read for fans of the detective genre.

It’s extremely satisfying, also, to have complete stories that can be read in one sitting, reminding me of Block’s Hit Man in that respect. Nourishing tales in manageable bites, it’s just the kind of thing Kindle was invented for.

Jackson (and I feel I know him well enough now to use his first name) is just the kind of man I’d want batting on my team. A+

4 comments:

  1. Nice review. I really enjoyed this collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on my list. Hopefully I'll read it this week. I'm a bit behind with ebooks. Reading from my lap top isn't so easy when you read a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about halfway through. Every single story has pinned my ears back. A simply must have book. Several stories will buckle your knees. I'm not gonna talk about "Closure." You have to come to that yourself. Stunning doesn't even begin to describe. That's the way it's done, son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm back. Okay Dave you got me. Old fashioned PI stories hit me hard. These are as old fashioned as they come. They are where all the wire rack bestselling guys were . . . back when they had heat and fire and knew, by god, how to write. Already got When One Man Dies and I'll get the other two soon.

    ReplyDelete