Thursday 23 February 2023

GETAWAY DRIVERS

My latest reads have been about getaway drivers. 

Truth be told, I'm no lover of cars, especially modern ones. I don't recognise makes and models on the whole, but I do enjoy many of the shapes and lines of yesteryear. I don't particularly enjoy driving and the older I get the more that is the case, especially at night time. Nor am I a fan of car chases on screen- slick handbrake turns, tight manoeuvres, near misses and super stunts become boring for me when they go on for too long and just get in the way of the things I care about. 

That said, books and films about drivers can be utterly gripping. It's certainly the case for SA Cosby's Blacktop Wasteland and Duane Swierczynski's The Wheelman. The two books couldn't be further apart in their composition, but they are equally compelling and terrifically satisfying. 

Cosby's read has the right amount of car information for me and never becomes bogged down in detail because every mechanical aspect is totally credible and is explained just enough. Swierczynski jettisons the car early doors and the remaining lunacy of the proceedings are driven by the complex plot rather than by a steering wheel. One is rooted in character, the other in bamboozling action. Both hit the spot. 

Reviews to follow, but if you have any top driving stories to recommend, I'd be grateful.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment