Saturday 6 July 2024

One Man's Opinion: THE SCORE by RICHARD STARK



If I kill, it's because I don't have any choice.

You mean self-defence.

Wrong. I mean it's the only way to get what I want.

The last book I passed on thoughts about was Cold In July. Here we are, the 6th, I'm wrapped up in my extra hoody whilst having to blow on my fingers to keep them loose. Seriously. 

And we have a new government. I wouldn't normally comment on such things, but a Labour led House of Commons has been such a rare thing in my adult life; after so many past disappointments, this shift needs celebrating. Apart from the rise of the ugliness represented by the Reform party, I'm overjoyed with the result. Just for now there is hope. Sure, it's likely to be a long haul and there will be difficult days and months, but for the first time in an age, change for the better seems possible. Go Keir. 

The book I was reading on the day of the election was The Score by Richard Stark. Perhaps it was a lucky charm. It's a Parker novel, so the quality of the writing barely requires mention- hardboiled, always to the point and as tough as the protagonist. 

I really enjoyed it, though I share some of Parker's own reservations about the escapade. The plan comes from an unknown entity. It involves taking down an entire town. There's only one exit, there's a barracks in the way and it's likely they'll require a small army to carry out the heist. If that weren't bad enough, there's a tail following Parker to the first meeting, which means there's something fishy about the whole package. 

In the end, Parker can't resist. Perhaps that says something of his character, though I'd have expected him to walk away as soon as his senses began to twitch. 

The operation itself is a treat. The twist is not unexpected, but the way it plays out maintains the energy and tension. 

A well told story, then, with the wonderful whiplash turns of phrase and crackling dialogue, just not my favourite in the series is all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment