Friday 14 October 2011

One Man's Opinion: COMMUNITY SPIRIT by DARREN SANT


I really enjoyed the first book in this series. Gritty, urban and a really good view of a struggling area.
I gave that one a 5 star review and wondered if the author would be able to keep up the high standard.
The answer is clearly yes. What is shown by this is the versatility of Mr Sant - this guy is no 'one-trick pony'.

This one kicks in with the action straight away.

Within 2 paragraphs the reader will know that Tracy is in trouble, that she owes a thug called 'Taff Hargreaves' a good deal of money and that she has until the end of her week to pay it back (he'll accept payment in kind, it turns out).

Tracy doesn't want to pay. Feels hard enough to get by while wondering how she ever imagined Longcroft could ever have been a wise place to make a fresh start.


Her strength turns to nought when Taff meets up with her son, even settling an issue with his bullies.


That puts her into a very tight spot indeed.
Watching on as that spot tightens is genuinely gripping and the resolution (however unexpected) is utterly satisfying).
Now, I can't wait to get into Mr Sant's story collection Flashes of Revenge. I'll let you know how I get on.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds good. I've heard positive things about Sant, I'll have to get right on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I read Sant's Flashes of Revenge, and it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words Nigel.

    ReplyDelete