Monday 20 June 2011

Every One A Winner



I'd like to thank Naomi Johnson over at The Drowning Machine for, once again, running the Watery Grave Invitational Competition.

As last year's winner, I feel I need to pass on the crown, so special congratulations to Chris LaTray who's the winner this year.

I think that everyone involved deserves a clap and a nod - judges as well as entrants. 

To those of us who didn't make it right to the top, well done just for being there in the first place - as an invitational contest, it's not easy to get an entry.  I don't think I could feel better about losing a competition than I do about this one, knowing who was in it, so thank you all.

Chad Eagleton's fantastic story was up last time I checked; given it only placed third, I can promise that we've got 2 more amazing pieces to read.

In case you missed the news, here are the placings:


1st Prize: RUN FOR THE ROSES by Chris LaTray ($50)



2nd Prize: FINGERPRINTS by Eric Beetner ($35)



3rd Prize: A POCKET FULL OF HORSES by Chad Eagleton ($20)



4th Place: HARD TIMES by Ian Ayris (A bye into the next WGI)


5th Place: A tie:


A GAME OF HIDE AND SEEK by Patricia Abbott


TOO MUCH TOO YOUNG by Nigel Bird


(Byes into the next WGI)

Chris, I hope that you enjoy being able to tell folk that you are the WGI winner as much as I did.

Other news - Speedloader is now available at Amazon.  It looks great and I think it will do you good to pop on over and part with your cash, honest.  

I've just been over to check for links and noticed that the 1st and 2nd placed stories are there to read AND there's a link to Ian's 4th placed effort.  Excuse me if I have to dash - places to go, things to read.

Have a lovely week everyone.  See you soon.




4 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the challenge once again, Nigel. Only 3 years into this contest so we've not had a two-time winner yet, but it could happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naomi, you know I'll be there next year (so long as I'm able). Can't resist and it's such a fantastic competition. I've read all of the first three now and it just makes me feel easier still about passing on the crown - they're fantastic pieces all.
    I'm off to start practising - if only I could predict a pattern in your story themes - baseball, horse...prawn crackers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to you and all the winners!

    ReplyDelete